Last year was such a great year for plus size women in entertainment. There were a few hiccups along the way, but with women like Queen Latifah and Melissa McCarthy dominating Hollywood in front of and behind the camera, it’s safe to say that we’re moving in the right direction.
Now that 2016 is in full swing, I think it’s time for me to list a few things that I would like to see happen in plus size fashion, entertainment and all things body positivity.
1) I would like to see actresses like Retta (Parks & Recreation), Danielle Brooks (Orange Is The New Black) and Adrienne C. Moore (Orange Is The New Black) in more movie roles. Each of these women are phenomenal actresses and I want to see more of them.
2) Let’s change the conversation. I love fashion and I’m sure other plus size women do too, but our interests aren’t limited to the newest plus size collection. Mainstream media talks about the plus size fashion industry so much because we talk about the plus size fashion industry so much. Within the industry, there are stories and journey’s that are worthy of being told. It’s time for us to spotlight those stories.
3) Support the brands that support you. Again this isn’t just limited to clothing brands. This goes for websites, blogs, event planners and anyone who has ever advocated for you. Our industry cannot survive without you supporting everyone in it.
4) Get to know people outside of your inner circle. We tend to stick to those with similar interests and views, but in order to grow, we must step out of our boxes. This means sparking conversation with people who platforms are different than yours. If you’re attending an event, start a conversation with someone that you’ve never met before.
5) Continue to celebrate yourselves and the accomplishments of each other. Between plus-focused hashtags, events that are specifically for us and campaigns that highlight plus industry influencers, one thing we do very well is celebrate our sisters. It’s imperative that we keep the momentum going and continue to share the love.
Let’s Chat. What changes would you like to see in the plus size industry? What would you like to add to this list?
You might also like
More from Empowerment
This Project Is Proof That Style Comes In All Sizes!There isn’t an introduction that I could craft worthy enough of …
In Life, We All Have People That Root For Us, And My Mom Was That Person For Me. When I came …