Dating after a breakup can be challenging for anyone, no matter what stage you are in life. The longer the relationship, the more difficult it is to get “back in the game.”
As dating opportunities arise, we often come up with reasons why we shouldn’t accept the invitation, ranging from “I’m too busy” to “He just isn’t my type.” Yes, meeting new people can be scary and exhausting, but if you want to find love, you have to push through the fear and live your life knowing you’ll get what you want.
Prioritize yourself. Make it a New Year resolution to say yes to dating in 2016. You’re never going to have what you want if you don’t leave the house. Maintaining an open and optimistic attitude is essential to learning what makes you happy and finding it.
Here are 5 reasons I said yes—and ultimately found my soul mate.
- Practice makes perfect. Let’s face it: if you’re coming out of a long relationship, you‘re probably out of practice when it comes to basic things such as flirting, reading social cues and navigating the general world of dating. Take a step forward and say yes to a date that you feel is less than perfect. Dip your toes in the water and polish your dating technique.
- He could be a friend. If a friend, co-worker or prospective new date asks you to a social event – SAY YES. You may think this person isn’t your type or that you’ve already gone out once and it didn’t work. But if you keep things light you may discover that he has great friends and so do you. Expanding your circle of friends can bring you new opportunities to meet new friends and new opportunities. Not every date has to be your next forever. But it could lead to a solid friendship.
- You need to find out what you want. My grandmother used to say that you have to kiss a lot of frogs before your find Prince Charming. While most of us aren’t waiting around for Prince Charming, it still holds true that you have to find out what you want to know what you want. Date with a purpose and pay attention to how you feel with each interaction. You may think you know what you want, but meeting new people will allow your internal voice to guide you and reveal what really makes you happy.Say yes, and pay attention to what makes you feel good.
- The situation may surprise you. Many of us have a list of the features or traits that we look for in a mate. It’s important to know what you want, but don’t create a rigid box that doesn’t allow you to expand or be open to new things that you want in life. If you say yes, the person or situation may just surprise you—and you may surprise yourself. Opposites often attract, so try a social situation or date that you would normally dismiss because it sits outside of our box.
- Get ready for the real thing. It’s natural to desire a mate. You never know when someone who is perfect for you will cross your path. Although you may feel ready, you want to ensure that you’ve done your homework and are truly ready. You can’t expect to come out of a relationship and be prepared for “the one.” Say yes so that you’ve given yourself an opportunity to know what’s important to you, and how to recognize and land your soul mate.
About the Author:
You might also like
More from Living
During heated conversations about race relations, politics and other topics that evoke passionate responses, staying calm is a skill; a …
Lane Bryant's Inspired to Give campaign embodies the brand's charitable mission to empower, encourage and support women and children Earlier this …