Recognize that to live a passionate life, you must attend to all of your needs, not just one or two. Energy in one area (emotional) powers energy in another (physical), and so on and so forth. Taken from Wicked Success Is Inside Every Woman (WickedSuccess.com) by Vickie Milazzo, here are six strategies for pulling it all together.
1. Set renewal goals. You are just as important as your career and family, so plan your renewal as you would a work project or family vacation. Milazzo includes in her renewal goals everything from maintaining a daily fitness regimen to destinations she’d like to travel to. Regularly assess and update your own renewal plan.
2. Start small and do one thing at a time. Enjoy five minutes of quiet, then ten. Add one vegetable a day, then eat two. Turn off the television for one hour, then two. Eliminate one fast-food trip a week, then eliminate two. Cut out one trip a day to the office candy bowl, then two, then three, and you’ll lose seven pounds a year. It takes 60 days to turn your lifestyle change into a habit.
3. Banish all excuses. Milazzo knows a woman who works 70 hours a week, and her excuse for not getting away for a weekend is that she’s too spent when the weekend comes. Yet a relaxing weekend away is probably the perfect rejuvenation prescription for her! Renewal often takes a little time and effort, but a wicked career and success are nothing without a renewed spirit.
4. Accept wherever you are in your life now and start from there. Know that you can always start fresh. Wherever you are in life, there was “before” and there is “now.” Maybe you haven’t exercised in three years or thirty. Start now—and forget before.
5. Take a day off from discipline. French fries in place of one serving of broccoli won’t kill you, but unrelenting discipline will make you wish you were dead. Indulge yourself every once in awhile—and pass the ketchup!
6. Create female fusion. Have you ever gotten together with female friends, relatives, or colleagues and come away spinning with energy, motivation, and ideas? That’s the power of female fusion: when women bond over a shared interest, task, or goal, they create sparks of insight and brilliance that they could never have generated alone. When you are connected to other women who complement, understand, and care about you, you will feel nurtured, empowered, inspired, and fired up! All facets of your vitality will feel supercharged.
About the Author:
Vickie Milazzo, RN, MSN, JD, is the author of the New York Times bestseller Wicked Success Is Inside Every Woman, WickedSuccess.com. From a shotgun house in New Orleans to owner of a $16-million business, Milazzo shares the innovative success strategies that earned her a place on the Inc. list of Top 10 Entrepreneurs and Inc. Top 5000 Fastest-Growing Companies in America.
Vickie is the owner of Vickie Milazzo Institute, an education company she founded in 1982. Featured in the New York Times as the pioneer of a new profession, she built a professional association of 5,000 members.