Will Disney Ever Feature A Plus Size Princess?

Will Disney Ever Feature A Plus Size Princess?

Will Disney Ever Feature A Plus Size Princess?: Growing up in the 80’s it was hard enough to find Black dolls that looked like me so finding a plus size doll was the furthest thing from my mind. Although I was pleasantly plump as a child, there wasn’t any emphasis placed on my size (at least not in my household). Fast forward 25 years and every media outlet are addressing size acceptance in one way or another.

From modeling, clothing and even collectible dolls, attention has been placed on plus size women like never before. When the picture of a curvy Disney princess began to surface on Facebook I didn’t pay it much attention. I wrote it off as another image used to empower plus size women but I kept on seeing it so I decided to dig a little deeper.

Initially, I found an article from 2011 that stated that Disney were going to make their next princess curvier than past princesses, but I didn’t see any information to support that claim. After doing a little research I found this petition, “Make Disney’s Next Princess Plus Size.”  It was started about 5 months ago by Taylor Jones on The expired petition reads:

If you grew up in the ’90’s, you saw the pretty, perfect, porceline Disney Princesses, and in the back of our mind’s, we wanted to be pretty like them, skinny like them, rich as them, or in love as them. Sadly, it’s messed with our heads. By society’s standards, a size 5 is a plus-size… is unacceptable. We need to change this!! So sign this petition to make the next Disney Princess the size of an AVERAGE American Teenager!

If the idea of a plus size Disney princess originated with Taylor, then I applaud her for trying to make a difference by asking Disney to show women and young girls that princesses come in all shapes and sizes. Call me crazy, but I’m extremely optimistic about this for a couple of reasons. Not only is the artwork amazing and believable, but it would be in the best interest of Disney to shake things up a bit and help change the world’s perception of beauty. Remember when Disney released its first animated feature starring a black princess, The Princess and the Frog? That was major and a plus size princess would definitely be well received.

If Disney did feature a plus size princess, what should they name her?

1. venia

August 17, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I loved all of the pics of the plus size princess. I think number 2 and 3 our my favorites. As a little girl Disney princesss were my favorite, and to this day I still cry at the end of Beauty and the beast and snow white. I would love to see a plus size princess I think Disney is way over do for one. I think they should be brave step up and take the lead and make one. We have seen enough of the same old princess it is time for one that looks like a real woman or real teenage adult.

2. Edith

September 7, 2012 at 12:49 pm

GLORIA! I dont know why but I feel like thats a good name LOL

3. ThatOneChick

May 22, 2013 at 7:43 pm

…Has anyone ever watched Lilo and Stitch?
    While Nani, wasn’t a princess and/or plus sized… she was an actually averaged sized female body.

4. Editor-In-Chief, Stephanie Penn

May 22, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I have to take a look at Nani. I love it when there’s diversity in media.

5. Ashley

May 26, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I like numbers 2 and 3. I don’t know what 2 should be named but for number 3 I like the name Gloria, Edith said that too but didn’t say which number it should be. It just sounds good.

6. Jami

June 26, 2013 at 8:04 pm

That’s not a plus size princess! It’s a princess with big boobs!

7. Maggie

December 16, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I grew up watching disney princess & even as a little girl I wished there was a princess my size. Im a plus size teen in living in this society it sucks. If disney was to make a plus size princess I know for a fact it would change life’s mine as well. !

8. Jillian

August 14, 2014 at 12:13 am

Ok here’s the thng yes u r rght every girl s beautful n there own way. But the prob s people would make fun of her,others will be offended by her. Then disney wll get in trouble and possbly sued. So overall not the best dea but maybe u can think of something else lke a Spanish princess. But who knows they might make a plus szed prncess. Good Luck :)

9. Ashley

August 19, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Name her Ashley! !

10. alex

August 20, 2014 at 1:49 am

I love the idea wish it were real or that we could vote on it some how or start another petition and I like the name Sawyer. Harley. Or Maggie

Stephanie Penn is the Editor-In-Chief of She spends her days and night finding plus size news to share with you and interacting with the readers. She loves music, writing and anything with a positive vibe to it.

More in Magazine

If You Liked Rebel Wilson’s AMA Dress, Then You’ll Love These Metallic Must-Haves

Editor-In-Chief, Stephanie PennNovember 25, 2015

Plus Size Capes & Ponchos That Are Perfect For Transitioning From Fall To Winter

Editor-In-Chief, Stephanie PennNovember 23, 2015

QURVII CEO Neelima Shares The Plus Size Brands Beginning’s And Their Future

Editor-In-Chief, Stephanie PennNovember 23, 2015

Step Up Your Holiday Hair Game With These Festive Accessories

Editor-In-Chief, Stephanie PennNovember 20, 2015

Amber Riley Shares That She Was Willing To Hold A Camera To Be Apart Of The Wiz LIVE

Editor-In-Chief, Stephanie PennNovember 18, 2015

Navigating The Fashion Industry: Five Plus Size Entrepreneurs Share Their Thoughts

Editor-In-Chief, Stephanie PennNovember 16, 2015

Plus Size New Arrivals To Buy ASAP For The Holiday Season

Editor-In-Chief, Stephanie PennNovember 13, 2015

Christie Brinkley Thinks Highly Of Plus Size Model Ashley Graham, And Here’s Why

Editor-In-Chief, Stephanie PennNovember 11, 2015