She’s Plus Sized!? (The Great Plus Sized Debate)

She’s Plus Sized!? (The Great Plus Sized Debate): I am inspired when I see women of all different shapes and sizes rocking something fierce! It is true that “fashion has no size” but now I am noticing more than ever that there is a great debate going on. So what constitutes being plus sized? Some would say plus sizes begin at size 12 others say 14, but for me it is when you have to buy plus sized clothing to fit your frame. Even though we are seeing more and more curvy models featured online and in store ADS, we still know that the fashion world loves to use smaller models and has used models with sizes ranging from as small as 6-10 to represent the curvy customer; these women do not have to shop in the plus department nor are they plus sized. This is one of the reasons I think that the great debate about what is plus sized has begun.

Plus sized models: Laura Wells & Chenese Lewis

In modeling one thing to keep in mind is that there are still requirements that models must meet depending on the type of modeling work. We can’t always assume that because a model is not as curvy as another model that she is not plus sized or does not represent the curvy customer. We must also not assume being plus sized means being unhealthy. Too many times I have seen a photo of a plus model posted on a social networking site then soon after, I see what I like to call ‘the great debate’ come up. These are usually comments like, the following:

• This model is not plus sized!
  • “Is she plus sized?”
  • “What size is this model?”
  • This model is obese!
  • This model is too skinny!
  • This model is a real sized model she looks healthy, not plus…and so on and so on.

This should not be so! We must continue to keep in mind that we come in all shapes and sizes, all beautiful and all deserving to wear something that makes us feel like phenomonal women. So the next time you see a photo of a full figured woman posted up on a social networking site, look out for the ‘great debate’ and don’t feel like you have to fit into a box to be beautiful or healthy because inspiration has no size!

About Curvy Confidence Editor, Limarie Lewis

Limarie Lewis is a Philadelphia native recording artist known as Poetikmind with her independent critically acclaimed album titled "Deep Thoughts Defined". She is a wife, stepmother, poet, writer, Sunday school teacher, administrative assistant and aspiring plus model with a BA in Elementary & Special Education. Limarie enjoys working with youth and empowering women of all ages to love themselves for who they are because they are fearfully and wonderfully made. www.modelmayhem.com/poetikmind

Comments

1. says

you are so right! but although we shouldn’t HAVE to pidgeonhole in this way, in an ideal world, and its great things are moving in the right direction, I still don’t feel those ‘plus size’ models are representing ME. i guess thats why the debate is partly important

2. spurgeon says

personally, when i hear a plus size, it don’t need much explanation but to expect to see a woman who is above average, a FULL-FILLED woman, but personally i feel laura wells does have the size to fit that pigeonhole. i love them women with the fullness of the creator, but when i see some so called plus size models i just wonder.

3. says

This is true, but often forgotten:

“We must continue to keep in mind that we come in all shapes and sizes, all beautiful and all deserving to wear something that makes us feel like phenomonal women. ”

I totally agree!

4. Catherine Rodriguez says

“… inspiration has no size.” A beautiful statement! I hope one day we will get to the point where the conversations are no longer necessary, where putting women into categories is not even a consideration, when we can look at a woman and see her beauty, not her size. Whether plus or average or petite, a woman is a valid, loving, worthy, and beautiful person because she is a human being.

5. Irene says

While I agree with you in theory that ‘inspiration has no size’; i too, wonder where do they get them from? Im 46 years old. I can remember, Roamans, Smart Size, Lane Bryant and the plus or ‘Woman’s’ sizes in Alexanders, etc, when size ranges were 16-42…later on the sizes were changed to 12-28 or 0-4. I have seen plus size mags come n go, I hv seen plus size retailers come n go..what I haven’t seen n hope to before I die are Models MY Height n MY size with MY shape. I always see plus models with Larger tops n narrow hips, barely there thighs and no behind..im biased because I am a true pear with serious problem trying to find clothes n a hotline to a great tailor! Since most american woman are supposedly size 14 and up and more on the pear side, why is this not reflected in plus size models? I get tired of seeing someone over 5′!0+ her 210+lbs spread over her frame constitutes a 12 or 14. I am short n proud, I hv a small waist (15″ smaller than my hips) n a big behind with big thighs and for once I would like to see that in the Media! Thx for letting me vent n keep up the good work!!!

6. says

My name is Bashar Brown, and I live in Kent in England.

I help plus size women and men who don’t feel happy with the way they look, who don’t have any confidence in themselves and feel like an outsider because they’re overweight and think that the only way for them to feel better and look good about themselves is to have surgery..

I change all of that by making plus size women and men feel and look attractive, help them to improve their confidence and re-introduce them into society!

Please feel free to take a look at my website http://www.make-bashar-famous.com and I hope you like what you see.

I’m not rich and I don’t have my own TV show.

I would really appreciate it if someone would give me my big break and help me appear on TV.

Many Thanks

Bashar Brown

Trackbacks

1. [...] about sizes is a big issue! fullerfigurefullerbust.com and dailyvenusdiva.com wrote an article about this. The skinny versus curvy (read plus size) is not a war. And it should [...]

2. [...] wordt op dit moment flink gediscussieerd over maten! fullerfigurefullerbust.com en dailyvenusdiva.com schreven er een artikel over. De ‘dunne’ versus ‘curvy’ (lees plus size) is [...]

Leave a Review or Comment