Year after year, month after month millions of people pledge to get physically fit. Whether you’re exercising to lose weight or to maintain, it is something that we must get in the habit of doing. According to sports physiologist Michael Bracko, “Tailoring the type of activity performed to each individual’s lifestyle and ability is important.”
Bracko has highlighted these five types of fitness that will help you determine what type of workout you should be doing:
- Functional fitness includes activities such as bowling, gardening and golf. These leisurely-yet-active pastimes are good for older adults who want to stay active as they age.
- Health-related fitness incorporates movement to enhance overall well-being. Mind/body exercises such as T’ai Chi and yoga are examples of health-related fitness, as are “kick-start” exercise activities such as walking.
- Physical fitness is for those who have made a conscious decision to work out on a regular basis. This encompasses what most people picture when thinking of exercise – cardiovascular, strength and flexibility training.
- Recreational athlete fitness includes specialized sport training. These exercisers care about cross-training for general fitness, but have a dedicated focus on sport to keep them motivated to exercise.
- Elite athlete fitness is for a very small, specific population segment – those whose intent in specialized training is high-level training rather than improving fitness and having fun.
Beginners can use these fitness types to find their motivational niche, Bracko said, according to an American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) release.
“If someone is naturally competitive, they might consider training for a five-kilometre run to stay excited about exercise,” Bracko said. “Alternatively, a noncompetitive older adult could consider joining a golf league to work in regular, fun, casual activity.”
You might also like
More from Fitness
By: Yolanda Williams, Owner of Just CurvesPicking fitness apparel for a plus size body isn’t that much different than shopping …
In the spirit of starting the year off right, Kymberly Nichole of Well Fit Curves has launched an amazing challenge …
PHActive, Fresh and Functional: Plus Size Active WearI remember it like it was yesterday. Picture this, Beaufort, 2012… A friend …